French: From Time Immemorial – TG
Diane Silvey and Diana Mumford
Pacific Edge Publishing
218 pp, blackline masters included, softcover
Level: Grades 3-8
From Time Immemorial provides an honest and up-to-date survey of the history of the coastal First Nations from pre-contact to the present. The culture of the coastal people was highly complex. Although there were many similarities, there were also many differences among the groups who shared the wealth of their life-sustaining environment.
This book provides a broad overview of traditional ways common to a large number of diverse groups. It encourages readers to learn more about particular groups who, long ago, walked the shorelines and forest trails of the Pacific Northwest.
The Teacher’s Guide provides support materials to address 100% of the Learning Standards for the Grade Three Social Studies curriculum and the First Nations content for grades 4-8 (See Learning Standards Chart link below). It contains detailed lesson plans, reproducible blackline masters, assessment strategies and tools and activities integrating theme across the curriculum (Science, Math, Art and Language Arts).
View the Learning Standards Chart.
View a Sample Chapter.
Table of Contents
– Using the Student Text
– Using the Teacher’s Guide
– Your Social Studies Unit
– Prescribed Learning Outcomes Charts
– Setting the Stage
– From Time Immemorial
– Chapter 1: Living Together: Villages and Families
– Chapter 2: Living in Balance With the Sea: Fishing
– Chapter 3: Living in Balance with the Land: Hunting and Gathering
– Chapter 4: At Home by the Forest: Shelter and Clothing
– Chapter 5: Travel in the Pacific Northwest: By Land, By Sea
– Chapter 6: Living with the Spirits: Ceremonies and Beliefs
– Chapter 7: Expressing a Culture: Art, Drama, Music and Games
– Chapter 8: Living with Other Nations: Trade and Warfare
– Chapter 9: Contact with Strangers: Explorers and Traders
– Chapter 10: Living with the Newcomers: A Way of Life Ends
– Chapter 11: Losing Rights and Freedoms: Legislation and Discrimination
– Appendix A: Blackline Masters
– Appendix B: Assessment/Evaluation Tools
– Appendix C: Annotated Related Resource List
– Appendix D: Universal Declaration of Human Rights and First Nations Rights Infractions
– Appendix E: The National Aboriginal Achievement Awards